01 October 2008

One Can a Month Challenge!




I've decided to participate in a 1-bin-a-month garbage challenge, inspired by Enviromom. Yep, I'm going to try to reduce my household waste from 1 bin a week to 1 bin a month! And not just for a month or two, FOREVER! How am I planning on achieving this? Well, we already recycle, but I'm going to add vermicomposting and a bokashi bin.

Why do it? To reduce my family's impact on the earth. Less carbon emission (to transport waste to landfill), less waste=less waste at landfill, less methane produced by that waste breaking down, ...overall, a GREAT challenge!

Vermicomposting uses worms to digest most organic materials, except dog waste, meat, etc. and provide super nutrient-rich waste.
See here for more details. (Canadian company)

Bokashi bins use the process of fermentation to break down non-compostable organic materials-everything you can't put into the vermicomposter. You then put the by-product into your composter or garden to finish the process. See here for details. (Canadian company)
Reduce your waste by shopping smart: do you really need to buy that item that comes with a huge piece of non-recyclable plastic packaging? Do you really need to get a fresh paper cup at your coffee shop each time you go (start using your own cup). Use freecycle, Craigslist, etc for re-usable items you don't want-even your styrofoam (people who make beanbag chairs will gladly take your old styrofoam plates etc (that are washed)! Think outside the box! Join me in my challenge! (You don't have to reduce your waste all at once, try reducing your garbage by half! Or a quarter-any little bit helps!

Remember: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rot!!!!

1 comment:

Merry Medley said...

I wish we vermicomposted. Instead, we seem to collect our compost in air tight bins until we get the chance to put it all in someone's backyard composter. It grosses me out to see those bins on my kitchen floor, even if there is no rank smell coming from them. It's one of the reasons why I avoid having guests over. Blech.

Do you by any chance know where garborators figure on an eco-friendly scale?

My Weightloss Progress