26 June 2009

I'm a Bad Blogger

I admit it. I don't post as often as I should, considering there are people who check in daily to see if I've written anything new. I apologize. I will try harder.

That being said, I have to announce that we are officially cable TV-free, as of today. I was a little scared at first. Tomorrow will be the first day in a very long time with the tv off.

When I lived with my parents I watched tv very very rarely. IF there was one show a week that I watched, that was a lot. Then I hit college and watched even less. The only thing I really watched was Survivor (season 1, maybe season 2), and I think that was in the summer. I watched that with Peg and had fun counting the strikes against people.

After I moved to Guelph, I lived with Denny and never watched TV. I don't even know if he had cable. I watched a few movies there but that was it. Then I moved to a basement apartment across town and it was furnished, including satellite tv. I rarely watched there, except for hockey once or twice. Then I moved AGAIN (I know, I've moved a LOT in the last 10 years!), and we had tv with satellite just to watch hockey. I don't remember really watching much tv there. Then I moved out on my own again and had tv briefly. Back to my parents, but didn't watch much, then to Windsor, where I didn't even own a tv set. I did discover Grey's Anatomy and downloaded every episode in Season One and most of Season Two. Back to London, into the House From Fight Club where everything we watched was downloaded or otherwise obtained.

Then I met Ben. Ben, with the ginormous television and multi-package cable. Oh, the hated cable.

I must say, I became addicted. I would sit down to watch one thing and get sucked into a few hours of brain-draining crap. It became worse when I had Delilah. TV doesn't require you have hands free, like reading. It's hard to hold an infant and read at the same time.

A few months ago, we cut down to basic cable in order to reduce our monthly costs. We noticed a big difference in the beginning, and I'm sure I missed a few things. We quikly adapted to having only channels 1 through 28. Then we (ok, I) decided that I really don't need cable at all. For what you pay for, basic cable sucks. You don't get very much.

Ben was concerned that we would lose our deal on high speed internet and therefore not actually save any money by divorcing cable. But I insisted, and he ended up sweet-talking a good internet deal from Rogers. We get to keep our internet at the same rate as if we have a cable-internet package. So that's good. I couldn't live without internet. Really. Ok, maybe i could LIVE, but I wouldn't be very happy.

I'm a little hesitant about how my days are going to go when it is like a furnace outside and am stuck in here with nothing to do - I guess my house is gonna get a whole lot cleaner!

I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the library is a great resource for things like books on tape and fun stuff for toddlers.also the childrens museum is right around the corner-another great resource to get you out and about but still in air conditioning.But dont fool yourself that watching shows on your computer is any different than cable-just cheaper-shut off the brain drain and get out and enjoy life!Good Luck!

Rebecca MacLary said...

Delilah isn't quite a toddler yet - she's only one, and has no interest in tv, books on tape, or anything else, for that matter. She likes her blocks and music, and that's what she does when we're not out for a walk in the park or swimming.

As for brain drain, I know it! But with the fair skin, D and I need to stay indoors (or outside in total shade) during the height of the day. So inside is best.

Maybe we'll check out the museums, we could even walk, now I have the uber-cool stoller.

Anonymous said...

sigh...the books on tape was a suggestion for you since you said you cant read anymore as you have no free hands....obviously not for a toddler
Toddler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2008)
This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Its neutrality is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.

Its factual accuracy is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.



Boy toddlerA toddler is a young child who is of the age of learning to walk.[1] between infancy and childhood. Toddling usually begins between age 12 and 24 months.[2] During the toddler stage, the child also learns a great deal about social roles, develops motor skills, and first starts to use language.

My Weightloss Progress